Racial disparities during postpartum readmissions
Recorded On: 08/28/2019
- Non-member - Free!
- Regular (MFM) - Free!
- Resident - Free!
- Associate - Free!
- Associate - Fellow - Free!
- Medical Student - Free!
- Practice Professional - Free!
- Honorary - Free!
- Emeritus - Free!
- Affiliate - Free!
- Internal - Free!
- NPWH - Allied Affiliate Membership - Free!
Speakers: Drs. Aleha Aziz and Alex Friedman
Recorded: August 2019
Join Drs. Aleha Aziz and Alex Friedman as they discuss the findings from their study on racial disparities during postpartum readmissions in an interview by SMFM education committee member, Dr. John Byrne. The authors discuss the links between race and ethnicity with maternal morbidity and mortality postpartum in response to a call for action from ACOG/SMFM. Their findings from a national database highlight the importance of exploring future interventions to reduce morbidity and mortality for all women, but especially those in high risk groups.
Additional information and resources:
1) View SMFM's position statement "Racial Disparities on Health Outcomes" here.
2) SMFM is a member of the Council on Patient Safety in Women’s Health Care. The Council has developed a bundle to reduce variation in care called, “Reduction of Peripartum Racial/Ethnic Disparities.”
3) From MedPage Today (February 15, 2019): Postpartum Readmissons: Racial Disparities Abound
4) Additional information can be found here regarding ACOG's toolkit on Racial Disparities in Maternal Mortality.